What's new

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

321 One

July 11th, 2018.

My ongoing pipemaking journey continues. Along the way preparing myself for the next pipe has taken various forms. Recently I've been reading up on briar, considering various types of mouthpieces and stems, and I've been thinking about the diameter of the chambers, the size of the drought hole, and of course what I consider to be of primary importance; the aesthetics. I've been reconsidering the possibility of attempting to rusticate one of the next three pipes, and angles of grain, It cetera. Today I have been smoking Xaviar Three all day, and actually while smoking it I've been sanding and polishing a bit more. This seems to me to be a bit of a conundrum. If I consider a pipe finished, and if I further refine it, was it actually finished. Was it complete? Yes it was, I would say that it was finished; however I have determined that I reserve the right to further refine each of my pipes in the event that I sense that additional attention would improve upon the pipe. So as I'm writing this I'm contemplating Xaviar Four, Xaviar Five and Xaviar Six, and I'm smoking Sutliff Coconut Almond in Xaviar Three.

Here are afew photos of Xaviar Three, taken just afew minutes ago.

IMAG0650.jpg

IMAG0652.jpg

IMAG0658.jpg

Incidentally, at this juncture I have no intention of selling any Xaviar Pipes, although I have considered it, and I do remain open to the possibility of changing my mind about that decision at any time in the future. And so, although I only have presented Xaviar Pipes here on Pipe Smokers Den, I do not feel that there is any conflict of interest with doing so because I am not advertising my pipes or promoting them for sale. I create Xaviar Pipes for my own level of satisfaction, a sense of artistic expression and in some respects for therapeutic reasons. I am only speaking for myself and certainly not for other pipe makers who do in fact make their pipes in order to sell them; I commend those pipemakers. I myself feel that if I were to incorporate the prospect of selling my pipes, it would entirely change the whole dynamic of how Xaviar Pipes are created. I believe that I would become focused upon creating a marketable product, and fulfilling the requirements mandated by the anticipated scrutiny of the potential customer. Also, I would have no choice but to consider how it would be economically feasible, and the fact that if the hours that I dedicate to creating a particular pipe does not end up with a sufficient market value, I would consider that to be a conflict. Also, I would be adamant about all of the legal ramifications of the entire endeavor, including licensure, insurance to protect myself against potential disgruntled customers, and such problematic considerations.

So at this juncture I create Xaviar Pipes for my own personal use and satisfaction, and as I mentioned above, I reserve the right to change my mind about that decision at any time; however, I do not anticipate any possibility of a change in my perspective regarding this issue.

Thank you,
321 One.
July 11th, 2018.

321 One

July 12th, 2018

Hey everybody, so today I'm considering measurements and dimensions; particularly of pipes, and specifically of the Savinelli 320 KS.
In the United States we still utilize the Imperial System, however in the majority of the remainder of the world, the Metric System is used.
The Imperial System employs measurements such as inch, foot and yard, and the Metric System employs such measurements as millimeter, centimeter and meter; et cetera.

So, pertinant to the topic that I'm considering today, one inch is equal to 2.54 centimeters which is 25.4 millimeters.

Imperial Metric Conversion Table Chart Illustration.jpg
Imperial Metric Conversion Table Chart Illustration.

At this point I'm focusing upon the size of the chamber, the interior of the bowl.
I'm particularly interested in the diameter of the chamber, which is the distance across the widest part of the circle.
I'm going to be focusing on the diameter in order to determine the radius and the circumference.

Properties of a Circle Chart Illustration.jpg
Properties of a Circle Chart Illustration.

Now, as I mentioned ..
Xaviar Four, Xaviar Five, and Xaviar Six will all be emulating the Savinelli 320 Author Style of pipe.
As an example, and a goal, the following is what I'm going to be striving for ..
.. the Savinelli Giubileo d'Oro Smooth Smooth Natural 320 KS.

Savinelli Giubileo d'Oro Smooth Smooth Natural 320 KS Xaviar Pipe Example 03.jpg
Savinelli Giubileo d'Oro Smooth Smooth Natural 320 KS.

Savinelli Giubileo d'Oro Smooth Smooth Natural 320 KS Xaviar Pipe Example 04.jpg
Savinelli Giubileo d'Oro Smooth Smooth Natural 320 KS.

The size of the drill bits that I've been using thus far to bore out Xaviar One, Xaviar Two, and Xaviar Three are one inch and so, 25.4 millimeters.
In comparison, from what I've seen the measurements of three different Savinelli Giubileo d'Oro Smooth Smooth Natural 320 KSs are as follows ..
.. it seems that there is some variation in the sizes.

23.88 millimeters.
24.38 millimeters.
24.38 millimeters.

And so for Xaviar Four, Xaviar Five, and Xaviar Six I'm going to use the 25.4 millimeter bit.

321 One.

pipedreams86

July 11th, 2018.

My ongoing pipemaking journey continues. Along the way preparing myself for the next pipe has taken various forms. Recently I've been reading up on briar, considering various types of mouthpieces and stems, and I've been thinking about the diameter of the chambers, the size of the drought hole, and of course what I consider to be of primary importance; the aesthetics. I've been reconsidering the possibility of attempting to rusticate one of the next three pipes, and angles of grain, It cetera. Today I have been smoking Xaviar Three all day, and actually while smoking it I've been sanding and polishing a bit more. This seems to me to be a bit of a conundrum. If I consider a pipe finished, and if I further refine it, was it actually finished. Was it complete? Yes it was, I would say that it was finished; however I have determined that I reserve the right to further refine each of my pipes in the event that I sense that additional attention would improve upon the pipe. So as I'm writing this I'm contemplating Xaviar Four, Xaviar Five and Xaviar Six, and I'm smoking Sutliff Coconut Almond in Xaviar Three.

Here are afew photos of Xaviar Three, taken just afew minutes ago.

View attachment 8309

View attachment 8310

View attachment 8311

Incidentally, at this juncture I have no intention of selling any Xaviar Pipes, although I have considered it, and I do remain open to the possibility of changing my mind about that decision at any time in the future. And so, although I only have presented Xaviar Pipes here on Pipe Smokers Den, I do not feel that there is any conflict of interest with doing so because I am not advertising my pipes or promoting them for sale. I create Xaviar Pipes for my own level of satisfaction, a sense of artistic expression and in some respects for therapeutic reasons. I am only speaking for myself and certainly not for other pipe makers who do in fact make their pipes in order to sell them; I commend those pipemakers. I myself feel that if I were to incorporate the prospect of selling my pipes, it would entirely change the whole dynamic of how Xaviar Pipes are created. I believe that I would become focused upon creating a marketable product, and fulfilling the requirements mandated by the anticipated scrutiny of the potential customer. Also, I would have no choice but to consider how it would be economically feasible, and the fact that if the hours that I dedicate to creating a particular pipe does not end up with a sufficient market value, I would consider that to be a conflict. Also, I would be adamant about all of the legal ramifications of the entire endeavor, including licensure, insurance to protect myself against potential disgruntled customers, and such problematic considerations.

So at this juncture I create Xaviar Pipes for my own personal use and satisfaction, and as I mentioned above, I reserve the right to change my mind about that decision at any time; however, I do not anticipate any possibility of a change in my perspective regarding this issue.

Thank you,
321 One.
July 11th, 2018.
I would definitely buy a Xavier pipe if they ever became available for sale!

It’s so awesome to watch your journey of discovery and creation...keep the updates coming!

321 One

I would definitely buy a Xavier pipe if they ever became available for sale!

It’s so awesome to watch your journey of discovery and creation...keep the updates coming!

@pipedreams86 .. thank you sincerely for saying that, and I'm honored. It's just that I sense that if I were to start making them to sell, it would entirely change the whole experience for me. It's hard to explain, but, I just can't quite adequately describe why I really feel I should avoid that. Thank you for saying what you said.

321 One

So today, July 13th, 2018 as many of you might be aware of is my son Tory's 21st Birthday. So Happy Birthday Tory.

IMAG0607.jpg

So I had a rather full day, but I did manage to take some time to work on Xaviar Four and Xaviar Five. I did some markings, and I bored out the chambers and started some very rough hewn development of the shape I'm going for.

IMAG0709.jpg

IMAG0711.jpg

blackmouth210

@pipedreams86 .. thank you sincerely for saying that, and I'm honored. It's just that I sense that if I were to start making them to sell, it would entirely change the whole experience for me. It's hard to explain, but, I just can't quite adequately describe why I really feel I should avoid that. Thank you for saying what you said.
That makes sense to me.
My father-in-law is an excellent cook.
One of his joys has been preparing big meals for large gatherings of friends and family.
On numerous occasions I have heard people suggest that he start a catering company or open a small restaurant.
His response has always been similar to your comments above.
He has always felt that preparing meals as a business rather than for pleasure would take the joy out of cooking for him.

pipedreams86

Totally understand your thought process, you definitely don't want to lose your joy of this whole journey...hope you're enjoying every second of it, each pipe you have made is amazing!

I also wanted to say that I am praying for your son Tory, and you guys as a whole family, so sorry you all have to go through this...

321 One

That makes sense to me.
My father-in-law is an excellent cook.
One of his joys has been preparing big meals for large gatherings of friends and family.
On numerous occasions I have heard people suggest that he start a catering company or open a small restaurant.
His response has always been similar to your comments above.
He has always felt that preparing meals as a business rather than for pleasure would take the joy out of cooking for him.
Exactly, and thank you for giving the analogy because that really expresses the feeling. I can imagine for instance with your father in law's situation, suddenly there would be time constraints, monetary considerations, schedules, and certainly the scrutiny of the customer. It's a complicated dynamic, but one which is pertinent to many endeavors in life.

321 One

Totally understand your thought process, you definitely don't want to lose your joy of this whole journey...hope you're enjoying every second of it, each pipe you have made is amazing!

I also wanted to say that I am praying for your son Tory, and you guys as a whole family, so sorry you all have to go through this...
Thank you buddy. One interesting aspect of it is if I cross the bridge so to speak there would be so much more involved with it than just earning some dollars.

Thank you for your prayers for Tory and my family. It's a difficult challenge, but wow what character it has shown in my son Tory. He's handling the whole thing with dignity and courage, and although we remain optimistic, he knows that there is a possibility of this being a potentially fatal condition. And yet he lives each moment with joy, and he's been a real inspiration to me.

321 One

How are the new Xaviars smoking. You definitely have the look of the pipe down, but are you finding you can get the same smoking characteristics from the pipes that inspired you. Just curious, I was maybe going to try a few in winter when things are slower. They all have turned out great. You have a very good eye!
Good morning @JRCA97 .. and thank you for commenting. And thank you for the 'good eye' compliment. Well, there are the various aspects of pipe making and that is the aesthetics and then certainly the functionality. So far I haven't smoked Xaviar One, and I have it displayed on my desk. (Which is basically one end of the dining room table.) But Xaviar Two and Xaviar Three I smoke regularly. Xaviar Three really only occasionally to honor her, but Xaviar Two, yes I smoke quite often, sometimes throughout an entire day. I would say Xaviar Two smokes about the same as my Savinelli 320 Custom. I do want to mention that Xaviar Pipes will never be Savinellis.

JRCA97

Patron
I would say Xaviar Two smokes about the same as my Savinelli 320 Custom. I do want to mention that Xaviar Pipes will never be Savinellis.
Nor should they. They are your interpretation of a pipe you enjoy. The Xaviars are yours, you hand made them to what you enjoy. Which is a GREAT thing. Enjoy your day and keep up the good work and posts.