What's new

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Patron
Good morning my dear friend @321 One

I've been following your journey for the last month and a half without many comments, mainly because I simply didn't have the time or the internet access to do
so properly. I tend to take my time with anything I do, and try not to give any premature comments.

Now coming that late (in germany we'd say "wie die alte fastnacht") there's basically everything been said: I admire the results, but even more the way you
have done this all. It is a great joy for many of you to follow you and participate where we can, be it with praise or sometimes even a critical word. Surprisingly,
you still have all your fingers!!! Sometimes I did get a little worried about safety issues, but you seem to be more cautious then it looks like. :old:

It has been a lot of fun and I hope you'll keep it up. I don't know how many pipes a guy needs, but I hope it's a ton and then some and you'll make the
majority of them yourself. I will enjoy following your journey, as long as I am allowed to be a part of it (meaning you're not tired of posting all those
great things).

Thank you very much.

321 One

Good morning my dear friend @321 One

I've been following your journey for the last month and a half without many comments, mainly because I simply didn't have the time or the internet access to do
so properly. I tend to take my time with anything I do, and try not to give any premature comments.

Now coming that late (in germany we'd say "wie die alte fastnacht") there's basically everything been said: I admire the results, but even more the way you
have done this all. It is a great joy for many of you to follow you and participate where we can, be it with praise or sometimes even a critical word. Surprisingly,
you still have all your fingers!!! Sometimes I did get a little worried about safety issues, but you seem to be more cautious then it looks like. :old:

It has been a lot of fun and I hope you'll keep it up. I don't know how many pipes a guy needs, but I hope it's a ton and then some and you'll make the
majority of them yourself. I will enjoy following your journey, as long as I am allowed to be a part of it (meaning you're not tired of posting all those
great things).

Thank you very much.
@Sir Saartan .. my friend from all the way over in Germany .. how are you .. your comments are always a joy to get. I know sometimes when you get super busy you're still in the background looking on and being involved.

Well, it's been interesting, and add I've gone along quite afew things have transpired. I identified what criteria I wanted to abide by and I determined the name; Xaviar Pipes. Through some research I also learned afew things about briar, and things like that.

Yes, I do still have all of my fingers, and no mishaps at all, thank God for that.

But yeah, I'm still having fun, exploring new territory, and venturing into various realms. After I complete Xaviar IV, V, and VI, I'm going to downsize the diameter of the chambers from the full 8/8 of an inch to maybe 7/8 of an inch. Unfortunately I already invested afew dollars in the two 8/8 inch drill bits, and there wouldn't be anything else I could possibly use them for. But no big deal .. Es macht nichts.

At any rate, I hope all is well with you and keep checking back, I've been refining Xaviar VI all day and it's becoming one of my favorites thus far.

321 One

Monday, August 6th 2018 .. ok, here's a little update with Xaviar VI. When I give updates, one aspect is to share some of the progress which certainly I'm proud of, and another aspect is to possibly provide afew tips and techniques that may guide others who are interested in pipe making.

IMAG1650.jpg
Xaviar VI, August 6th 2018.

IMAG1651.jpg

IMAG1652.jpg

IMAG1653.jpg

So today I sanded Xaviar VI with sandpaper. Actually from what I have found from personal experience, sandpaper is quite effective for shaping briar wood. I used #100, and #220 and with moderate, and even pressure, I shaped some of the asymmetry, and imperfections in the aesthetics. Of course this is a subjective issue, and each person will have to determine what they consider to be what characteristics they might want to improve upon.

At this stage I don't go further down than #100 grit, but if you do opt to go down to #60, be sure to use very gentle pressure as the more coarse the grit the more potential damage you can do to the surface of the wood and may cause deep ridges. That damage will have to be corrected and you will have to sand the entire surface down to the depth of the deepest ridges and that could alter the shape more than that which is desired. I feel that #100 grit is coarse enough, and as I mentioned, with moderate, even pressure you can shape the pipe without causing much damage to the surface of the wood.

I recommend that you hold the pipe up directly in front of you, hold it level and inspect the balance, the symmetry and the events of the pipe.

Enjoy, have fun, and please exercise caution when working with any power tools, and even hand held tools and sandpaper.

Last edited:

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Patron
if you do opt to go down to #60, be sure to use very gentle pressure as the more coarse the grit the more potential damage you can do to the surface of the wood and may cause deep ridges.
you can say that again. I experienced that a lot early on.

please exercise caution when working with any power tools
even those that don't look dangerous. with a #60 grid belt sander you can do a lot of damage very quickly. human flesh
is simply not nearly as hard and strong as briar wood.

pipedreams86

@pipedreams86 .. I'm just rereading some earlier posts on my thread, and how is it worth your pipe kit. Not to put pressure on you because I have no idea of your time constraints and obligations, but I do encourage you to try your hand at that pipe kit you have.
Hey @321 One! thanks for this, sorry I had missed it, has been a busy time as we have had some groups visiting from the states, to our charity here in Romania, fun but busy in equal measures!

LOVE seeing your updates, this thread is one of the first I check to see what's new, when I get on the forum...the progress you are making is just incredible!

So, I haven't started carving yet, but your inspiration finally got me started on the journey, I have chosen the shape now, I decided on a straight billiard...boring I know, but the shape has been holding me up for awhile, and I decided I'd rather attempt something I feel is achievable, and if it goes well, move on to a more complicated shape...eventually I would like to carve a prince shape pipe, but that will be in the future...I am hoping this weekend to start carving

Thank you for taking the time to post your updates!

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Patron
.boring I know, but the shape has been holding me up for awhile
I really don't consider any shape boring at all. If you look at what our artisan carvers on PSD do, it's incredible how much personality
a simple billiard or poker can have. Also, there's nothing wrong with starting with something you feel comfortable doing. Why would
anyone want to try something he doesn't see himself having any chance of success?

pipedreams86

I really don't consider any shape boring at all. If you look at what our artisan carvers on PSD do, it's incredible how much personality
a simple billiard or poker can have. Also, there's nothing wrong with starting with something you feel comfortable doing. Why would
anyone want to try something he doesn't see himself having any chance of success?
Thanks for the encouragement!

Also I hope my earlier comment didn’t sound like I was belittling the billiard shape, or anyone who makes that shape...just that I have been studying and considering literally every pipe shape I could find, trying to find something unusual to try to carve, and was a little disappointed but also relieved, to bring my sights down a little and just concentrate on trying to make what seems like a simpler shape, and move upwards from there...

I’ll give it a shot this weekend!

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Patron
trying to find something unusual to try to carve
I get it. BUT the problem with that is, nobody can actually help you with that. If you're doing something ununsual,
there's basically no rules about what the end result should look like... so you're on your own.

Also, admiration of your work will be kind of random, depending on personal taste, because what someone
thinks is a great idea looks like a piece or crap to someone else. There's no discussing taste... believe me you
don't wanna hear my opinion on van gogh (as an example).

I will (secretly) try to make a "freehand" kind of approach, BUT I won't really spend a lot of time documenting it here.
That is unless it really turns out to be something I really am happy with. I fully expect it to be a learning process that ends
as a failure, but it will be a fun experiment.

321 One

you can say that again. I experienced that a lot early on.

even those that don't look dangerous. with a #60 grid belt sander you can do a lot of damage very quickly. human flesh
is simply not nearly as hard and strong as briar wood.
Exactly, @Sir Saartan .. as you said; "human flesh
is simply not nearly as hard and strong as briar wood."

For those who venture into pipe making, or whatever it is that you're involved with, be careful and exercise caution.

321 One

Hey @321 One! thanks for this, sorry I had missed it, has been a busy time as we have had some groups visiting from the states, to our charity here in Romania, fun but busy in equal measures!

LOVE seeing your updates, this thread is one of the first I check to see what's new, when I get on the forum...the progress you are making is just incredible!

So, I haven't started carving yet, but your inspiration finally got me started on the journey, I have chosen the shape now, I decided on a straight billiard...boring I know, but the shape has been holding me up for awhile, and I decided I'd rather attempt something I feel is achievable, and if it goes well, move on to a more complicated shape...eventually I would like to carve a prince shape pipe, but that will be in the future...I am hoping this weekend to start carving

Thank you for taking the time to post your updates!
Hello @pipedreams86 .. I didn't realize that you lived in Romania. I haven't been to Romania, but I have been to several other countries in that general vicinity.

About your plans with your pipemaking, that's absolutely great. Actually, in my perspective you've already begun the project by putting the thought into it you've been identifying some pretty important factors. Thank you for saying I inspired you, that means quite alot to me.

Regarding the Billiard shape, I think that's great. Kind of like ..

s478428567521868034_p447_i6_w640.jpeg
Savinelli Series III 141 KS Straight Billiard.

321 One

I get it. BUT the problem with that is, nobody can actually help you with that. If you're doing something ununsual,
there's basically no rules about what the end result should look like... so you're on your own.

Also, admiration of your work will be kind of random, depending on personal taste, because what someone
thinks is a great idea looks like a piece or crap to someone else. There's no discussing taste... believe me you
don't wanna hear my opinion on van gogh (as an example).

I will (secretly) try to make a "freehand" kind of approach, BUT I won't really spend a lot of time documenting it here.
That is unless it really turns out to be something I really am happy with. I fully expect it to be a learning process that ends
as a failure, but it will be a fun experiment.
As a friend, I have to say sometimes friends disagree and that's only natural, and so at this juncture I have to point out something you said I disagree with.

@Sir Saartan .. you said .. "I fully expect it to be a learning process that ends as a failure, but it will be a fun experiment." Now come on buddy, it won't be a failure no matter what you create.

:thumbsup:

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Patron
As a friend, I have to say sometimes friends disagree and that's only natural, and so at this juncture I have to point out something you said I disagree with.

@Sir Saartan .. you said .. "I fully expect it to be a learning process that ends as a failure, but it will be a fun experiment." Now come on buddy, it won't be a failure no matter what you create.

:thumbsup:
lol thank you my friend. I see it this way: most people may consider it a failure, but because it is most certainly a fun experience AND a smokeable pipe,
to me it's another step in my journey. I've wanted to try something crazy for a long time, but I don't know exactly how to wrapp my mind around it. I
must say that @Bad Shoggoth and his buddies inspire me. After all, there's some of that darkness that makes a true metal head inside me... and it's looking for
a way out. For a long time, that's been my music. Now that I've ventured into blues/ country rock for a couple of years, I need something else to express that
part of me. let's see where that takes me.

pipedreams86

Hello @pipedreams86 .. I didn't realize that you lived in Romania. I haven't been to Romania, but I have been to several other countries in that general vicinity.

About your plans with your pipemaking, that's absolutely great. Actually, in my perspective you've already begun the project by putting the thought into it you've been identifying some pretty important factors. Thank you for saying I inspired you, that means quite alot to me.

Regarding the Billiard shape, I think that's great. Kind of like ..

View attachment 10673
Savinelli Series III 141 KS Straight Billiard.
That picture is exactly what I hope to try and achieve! I’m sure it won’t come out quite as well as the Sav but I’ll enjoy making it either way I’m sure!

That’s so cool, which countries have you been to over here? I’m English, volunteering here in Romania with an American charity, which keeps things interesting!

321 One

lol thank you my friend. I see it this way: most people may consider it a failure, but because it is most certainly a fun experience AND a smokeable pipe,
to me it's another step in my journey. I've wanted to try something crazy for a long time, but I don't know exactly how to wrapp my mind around it. I
must say that @Bad Shoggoth and his buddies inspire me. After all, there's some of that darkness that makes a true metal head inside me... and it's looking for
a way out. For a long time, that's been my music. Now that I've ventured into blues/ country rock for a couple of years, I need something else to express that
part of me. let's see where that takes me.
Well, I'll tell you one thing you're a success at, and that's being a friend, and I mean that. Keep on being who you are @Sir Saartan ..

:thumb-yello:

321 One

That picture is exactly what I hope to try and achieve! I’m sure it won’t come out quite as well as the Sav but I’ll enjoy making it either way I’m sure!

That’s so cool, which countries have you been to over here? I’m English, volunteering here in Romania with an American charity, which keeps things interesting!
Well .. at various times ..

Germany
France
Holland
Norway
Sweden
Denmark
Poland
Hungary
Austria
Cscheck Republic
Slovakia

321 One

Right now I'm sitting on the back patio enjoying a rather substantial pipeful of Sutliff Sunset Rum in the 99.999% complete Xaviar VI.

IMAG1686.jpg

IMAG1687.jpg

Why you may ask is Xaviar VI 99.999% complete .. well .. only because Xaviar V is not yet complete, and thus Xaviar VI is not considered complete. About three minutes after Xaviar V is completed, Xaviar VI will be considered completed.

321 One

Xaviar VI as of today, August 8th, 2018 ..

IMAG1670.jpg
IMAG1674.jpg
IMAG1678.jpg
IMAG1679.jpg
IMAG1680.jpg

The finish I left natural, and hand sanded and polished with up to a #2000 grit pumice. As shown in the pictures she is completely dry and not wet. I anticipate that with further use the surface will develop a natural sheen from hand oils and regular handling. She's fully functional and already incorporated into my regular pipe rotation.