What's new

Bottom Half of Bowl Not as Good as the Top Half.

I have noticed that the bottom half of my bowls do not tast nearly as good as the top half. As a resul, I nearly always end up emptying the bowl and not smoking all the tobacco. I really try not to smoke to fast. I have packed the three stage method, Bob method. Last night, I thought maybe the tobacco was too moist and generating steam. So I let it dry out for an hour or so before smoking. I am at a loss as to what I am doing wrong. Very frustrating. Cananyone pointe out the most common mistakes that might cause this?

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
The flavor of most blends changes significantly over the course of a bowl. A VaPer may begin sweet and lightly spicy and end up dark, acrid, and peppery.
Similarly many Big English and Balkan Blends tend to collapse toward the end of a bowl- often into a muddled oriental and dirty virginia mess.

As stated above - dry your tobacco.
This will really help you.

And slow your cadence (reduce your draw and frequency) as the negative elements begin to present themselves. The more you rush to finish the pipe the worse it will be. Chasing flavor only ends up destroying it so it's best to just reeeellllaaaaax.

And maybe try switching to another blend - some boring burley or a straight Va. You might just be having a bad run with Plum Pudding right now.

Last edited:
After getting the pipe lit I typically like the taste of 2/3s +/- of the bowl. I dump it when I no longer enjoy the taste. Drier is better with most blends. No reason to keep smoking the tobacco when it is no longer enjoyable
This. I like my tobacco crispy and find the bottom tasty but if you continue to find you don't enjoy the last bit of a bowl then dump it. You're supposed to enjoy it, whatever way works for you. Could try some stuff in a tray placed on the dashboard, let it crisp up then pack it loose, gravity feed the bowl until it's full and keep it barely lit, just smouldering along.

Shasta Piper

Do those two pipes pass a pipe cleaner to the bottom of the bowl? If not, I’d seriously consider getting a pipe that will. Also, I wanted to suggest since you said you nearly always dump the second half, only filling it half way and trying smoking it down to ash. This might help dry things out down there and help build some cake at the bottom. Oh, and I definitely agree with the others on drying the tobacco. Hope you figure this out, the second half of the bowl is often my favorite.

Serenity

Patron
I've been told by much better cigar smokers than me that this isn't the correct way but it works for me. When you smoke be it a cigarette, cigar or pipe the tobacco that isn't yet burned becomes a filleting agent for that which is being burnt making that tobacco stronger as you continue the burning to a finish hence the change throughout and the finish being different then the start.

To lessen this a tad and to help control the burn I don't continuously inhale the burning tobacco thru the unburned tobacco but also blowhale, my own word and both directions more of a sip puff with a pipe and cigar. It not only makes it easier for me to get an even burn throughout the smoke, but lessens slightly the strength from tars and such building continually thru the burn.

Hope this helps remember it's all about enjoyment and relaxing when burning tobacco in a pipe, it's never hurried. If it starts tasting not to your liking dump and start a new.

Ozark Wizard

This is a good example why I like short bowls like princes and pots. No chance of getting a nasty lower half. Sure, I may smoke two bowls to someone else's stack, but I like what I loaded as it is, not so much for how it develops toward the bottom. Very few blends I've smoked can tickle me through a inch and a half deep bowl. Those pipes only get half loaded...

This is a good example why I like short bowls like princes and pots. No chance of getting a nasty lower half. Sure, I may smoke two bowls to someone else's stack, but I like what I loaded as it is, not so much for how it develops toward the bottom. Very few blends I've smoked can tickle me through a inch and a half deep bowl. Those pipes only get half loaded...
Also you get to enjoy twice as many blends smoking smaller bowls. I like CH but don't want to smoke it for 2.5 hours, same with about any blend. That's why I have so many things open all the time. Variety, the bane of existence.