What's new

Kiss the naked 'lip' or use 'protection' ?

I have been thinking about this for some time now. I do happen to clench and like clenching a lot. I even clench on to an unlit pipe I mean even if it goes down I have it in my mouth sometimes and then relight when I want to. However, I do drool a lot and that is something I am trying to learn not to do but it seems like some people are dry smokers and some, like me, are wet smokers. I do cover the lip of the stem with my tongue and all that but I still drool.

Anyway, I have been thinking recently of getting a few of those 'softy bits' but I am still not sure if I should go for them or not. To be honest, I do not have a problem clenching without them but was thinking if those might help clench a bit better? But then some have said that they introduce a rubbery taste in the mouth and I would hate that really. some also say that having that protection assurance can make you bit harder and the softy bits might not last long. Well there are mixed responses.

If you ask me personally, I feel kind of OK without them and I can kiss the naked 'lip' without any noticeable trouble. I don't have any trouble with my corner teeth and they are not pointy or sharp and I believe I can clench quite ok without the bits.

The only thing here might be that pipes aren't easily available in my country. My tobacconist only has a small selection of quite expensive pipes so if I get them or perhaps order online or get them through you guys some way in future, there would be a fear of having teeth marks on them with use/clenching (even though I think some teeth marks on the pipes make them belong to you more and there is nothing bad about that). Besides, if the stem can be protected at the expense of having a fowl taste in my tobacco then there is no use of it. Also using softy bits makes me think of artificiality and smoking my pipe kissing her naked lip induces originality and I do happen to be a traditionalist and an idealist at heart.

Should I go for those or not? wondering and indecisive... suggest !

Sidd.

Cowboysurfer201

Still searching for THE flake pipe
Patron
I have a couple and I've never noticed a rubbery taste or anything like that. Of course, I don't have the most refined palate so take that with a grain of salt. I tend to be a drooler too (I think its a Pavlovian response to tobacco and my years of dipping but who knows), and I can't say the softie bit makes that big of a difference on that front. I have them on some of my heavier pipes that would be a bit of a pain without, and I do have pretty pronounced canines so I usually make teeth indents.

My advice: they are fairly cheap. Get one, stick it on a pipe, see how it feels. If you don't like it, pull it off and toss it.

beaupipe

I use softie bits. I didn't like them when I first tried them (too thick and uncomfortable), but gave 'em another shot a couple years back. For whatever reason, I like them the second time around. I do, however, put them on backwards.

Softie bits aren't the only option, especially if they're not easily purchased. Some people use (and prefer) to use clear, food- or medical-grade tubing which can be cut to any length and may be more aesthetically pleasing on some pipes. It may also be easier to purchase locally.

greenmonster714

What a misleading title..lol. Of course that did not deter me from investigating.

I have a friend who has been suggesting I get some of those. It only makes sense to use them. I clench pipes a lot as well. Normally only when I'm outside working. If I'm just relaxing I am much easier on the stem. It makes no sense for me to restore a stem just to chew it like a teething puppy.

Drooling. Do you find you do that moreso when your busy or does it happen even having a sit down relax smoke? I've had that happen a few times but I never paid much attention to it.

Kuda

I'm of the opinion that softy bits reinforce the negetive habit of biting on a stem and clenching is a misnomer. If you use the button on the stem to hook the top row of teeth and rest the weight of the pipe on the bottom row it stays in place pretty well once it's settled in a comfortable spot. I have pretty sharp pointy teeth and a pipe with a super thin bit that has no tooth marks on it and I've smoked it for years. I'm not taking credit for that though, stem material shape balance weight are all things to look for in a pipe. There are a lot of fiddly considerations that can go into the user end of a pipe that can make a huge difference on comfort and usability. There's also the other route, you can get a bag of mm seconds cobs cheaply (cost effective way to quickly get alot of extra pipes) and not worry about any of it, still they need to be broken in which I'm not too fond of doing, they do smoke great after that though. Try a bunch of different things till you find what suits you best.

sablebrush52

Patron
I use softie bits on some of my pipes. Never have experienced any "rubber" taste. They hold up reasonably well, but need to be removed when cleaning the stem, or you will get some mouth crud build up along the edge. If a stem covered in mouth crud doesn't matter, then leave the thing on. They're pretty effective as a protection against fangs. Mostly, though, I don't clench.

PipeHaze

I am not a clencher, clenching while smoking a pipe makes me salivate a lot. I guess you can say drool but I think that's different. So I do not clench much at all. But on certain pipes I do use some heat shrink tubing. I can't stand the bulky rubber bits, the thin tubing does the trick for me.

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
Patron
I use softie bits on some of my pipes. Never have experienced any "rubber" taste. They hold up reasonably well, but need to be removed when cleaning the stem, or you will get some mouth crud build up along the edge. If a stem covered in mouth crud doesn't matter, then leave the thing on. They're pretty effective as a protection against fangs. Mostly, though, I don't clench.
I"m pretty much the sam way and the only exception is that I do clench. I use both the rubber ones or clear vinyl tubing that I make them myself.

I have a couple and I've never noticed a rubbery taste or anything like that. Of course, I don't have the most refined palate so take that with a grain of salt. I tend to be a drooler too (I think its a Pavlovian response to tobacco and my years of dipping but who knows), and I can't say the softie bit makes that big of a difference on that front. I have them on some of my heavier pipes that would be a bit of a pain without, and I do have pretty pronounced canines so I usually make teeth indents.

My advice: they are fairly cheap. Get one, stick it on a pipe, see how it feels. If you don't like it, pull it off and toss it.
Thanks. This is what I shall do.

thanks for the tip.

I'm of the opinion that softy bits reinforce the negetive habit of biting on a stem and clenching is a misnomer. If you use the button on the stem to hook the top row of teeth and rest the weight of the pipe on the bottom row it stays in place pretty well once it's settled in a comfortable spot. I have pretty sharp pointy teeth and a pipe with a super thin bit that has no tooth marks on it and I've smoked it for years. I'm not taking credit for that though, stem material shape balance weight are all things to look for in a pipe. There are a lot of fiddly considerations that can go into the user end of a pipe that can make a huge difference on comfort and usability. There's also the other route, you can get a bag of mm seconds cobs cheaply (cost effective way to quickly get alot of extra pipes) and not worry about any of it, still they need to be broken in which I'm not too fond of doing, they do smoke great after that though. Try a bunch of different things till you find what suits you best.
Good advice. I shall try the hooking on to upper teeth and resting on to lower teeth and see how that goes...