What's new

My coloring progress (updated weekly)

Oouder

Won’t let me edit so here goes. I’ve been smoking EMP pretty much exclusively lately with a bowl of regents flake thrown in every now and then. I don’t usually rush anything but i’ve Had this pipe quite some time and the color is very slow i wish I could speed it up. I’ve never waxed it but it looks like it has some wax on it still and I don’t let cake build. I feel like I should smoke a different kind of tobacco? Any suggestions would be welcome as I’ve seen some really cool meers and I think this has potential. It certainly smokes very nicely so I can’t complain.

26AE1228-D1EB-4297-9891-E7753CFAE222.jpeg 1795397A-C52E-4E3B-9F7F-0901B026498F.jpeg C3DC5DB3-2B4D-493E-9044-31E42F9FE97B.jpeg

Last edited:

Blackop555

Won’t let me edit so here goes. I’ve been smoking EMP pretty much exclusively lately with a bowl of regents flake thrown in every now and then. I don’t usually rush anything but i’ve Had this pipe quite some time and the color is very slow i wish I could speed it up. I’ve never waxed it but it looks like it has some wax on it still and I don’t let cake build. I feel like I should smoke a different kind of tobacco? Any suggestions would be welcome as I’ve seen some really cool meers and I think this has potential. It certainly smokes very nicely so I can’t complain.

View attachment 6056 View attachment 6057 View attachment 6058
Well the pipe is beautiful from the bowl to the stem. To be honest it looks like it could use some wax. If you buff it lightly and hold it under a light you should see the light fixture in the pipes finish. If it looks dull or it's hard to see a reflection on it, the wax is worn down. That of course is my preference. Also it seems it really starts coloring if you smoke it every day. Put your finger in the chamber if it feels kind of humid at the bottom don't use your nail just finger in the bottom against the chamber wall. it usually takes 5 to 7 days two bowls a day to get to that point. That's when i start to see coloring. I think that moisture helps grab the smoke and oils and pull it into some. All a guess on my end. I see no color effects depending on tobacco. Just smoke something you like and smoke it often. if you choose to wax, you will probably see some color.

Blackop555

@Blackop555 Thanks for your reply. I will run two bowls a day through it for a week or so and report back. I’ll also pick up some wax. I plan to do that online., Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
I get any white beeswax no bleach. It's more off white. Always in pellet form or granules. I would just rub it on slowly following the heat down the bowl. Lightly buff when your done smoking to get any chunks off.then when cool buff again.i wouldn't rub any wax in the lattice. The shank won't warm so kind of just crayon it on during the smoke lightly because it will be the hardest to rub off.

Blackop555

alright only 3 bowls in it this week. Been pretty much sick with a cold. I have fireworks to do for the town coming soon this weekend and it's going to be 97 here so i won't be smoking even when I'm done with fireworks those days so I'm ending this pipe. Disappointing two weeks. 11 bowls total and i see some light changes in color. Some of the marbling spots on top are starting to connect and you can see the layers through like a transparent layer. I'll be posting up pictures of new pipe that will be the next victim of two weeks smoking.

Blackop555

Have you considered using a "coloring bowl".
I saw these mentioned elsewhere but a
google search will bring them up as well as
videos on using them.

I thought about it, but for that price i can get A new pipe. You can't smoke a coloring bowl.i wouldn't hesitate if i could get one for a lesser price I'd love to try one.

LostMason

I thought about it, but for that price i can get A new pipe. You can't smoke a coloring bowl.i wouldn't hesitate if i could get one for a lesser price I'd love to try one.
I was thinking that I might try making one out of some
cherry wood.It's just a bowl extension fitted into the top
of the chamber using cork to seal it.
Kind of like a Falcon bowl typ of drilling.

Blackop555

well it's finally time for my first week progress. Summer activities are slowing down. One week 7 bowls. About hour and a half to two hours each. Cleaned immediately after each smoke. Pipe cleaners are about half an inch short so a little bit doesn't get cleaned. I don't like removing stems unless I'm doing the clean before putting it away. Never been smoked before yanik this one has the baki style stem connection so that's a bonus. One picture because that's all that is needed to show the coloring. Only a little around the rim. See you all in a week for the final report.