What's new

Question about bulldog and Rhodesian shapes

MLC

Foggy Fogey.
Patron

Smokesum

I've always followed Dunhill's convention on bowl shape to distinguish the 2 shapes. A bulldog will have a taller and thinner bowl, while a Rhodesian bowl is squatter and fuller. Rhodesians may have a round shank or a diamond shank. While I've never seen one, I would think that a classical bulldog shaped bowl with a round shank would still be a bulldog. Think of any other shape; billiard, apple, dublin, etc. It is the bowl shape which matters most, while the shanks come with many different variations. Perhaps the exception to this rule would be long shank billiards which can be Canadians, lovats, lumbermen, or Liverpools, based solely on the shank and bit configuration. Sure is a lot to think about.

MLC

Foggy Fogey.
Patron
Some of the old names become archaic and fall out of use --- what today we might call a slim Rhodesian or something similar, was called a "bevelled Haiti" in this
1924 City de Luxe brochure:

They named this shape below The Viscount, but I've seen this shape also referred to as a "student prince" or a "collegiate".

In his Blue Riband book, the author expresses surprise that the "Bullcap" family of shapes is somewhat delicate and lightweight as he had always imagined the shape to be beefier and more bulldog-like, the image below is from a Comoy's catalog circa 1962.
They offered a similar shape as the "bevelled Haiti" pictured above, but refer to it as a "panel bowl bullcap".

I have a pair of petite Lite-Wates (Sasieni 2nd) and a GBD in a similar shape to the regular 364 from the Comoy catalog:

Another antiquated shape name is rather peculiar and hard to figure, it is a "Jap" and at least two different makers (Barling and Peterson) that I am aware of used the term, it was a sporting nosewarmer-type number, and in the case of the Pete had forward canted bowl.

Here's the "Jap" from a circa 1910 Barling catalog:

You can see and read about the Peterson version on Mark Irwin's wonderful site,
here:
https://petersonpipenotes.wordpress.com/tag/peterson-jap-shape/

It bedevils me as to what the word "Jap" may have conjured or denoted in that time period?

In pipeworld, there will always be many mysteries lost to the fog of time.

Adam Bybee

Sales
Pipe shape names, just like tobacco blend nomenclature isn't in any way standardized and has changed over time. I think most people nowadays distinguish between the two in the manner that you mentioned for the sake of convention, but that hasn't always been the case. Some companies call all pipes with that signature bowl shape "bulldog" and some call all of them "Rhodesians" regardless of shank type.

MLC

Foggy Fogey.
Patron
I always like your posts, and now you’ve put me on the hunt for some semi local knowledge. There’s an excellent German restaurant in Springfield MA called the Student Prince. I wonder if its name has anything to do with pipes?

wow.

Looked it up and saw some pix of it, reminded me of an Irish pub sorta, looks very very cool,
and it's been around for quite a while too eh?

Their logo features a pipesmoker...

Seems there was quite a few things with that name...

...perhaps made popular by the operetta and films?
I like this line from the wiki entry:
The show was the most successful of Romberg's works, running for 608 performances, the longest-running Broadway show of the 1920s. It was staged by J.C. Huffman.
Even the classic Show Boat, the most enduring musical of the 1920s, did not play as long – it ran for 572 performances.
"Drinking Song", with its rousing chorus of "Drink! Drink! Drink!" was especially popular with theatergoers in 1924,
as the United States was in the midst of Prohibition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Student_Prince