What's new

Samuel Gawith: Full Virginia Flake 250g at SP...

BrokenAxe

Maybe it's me but now I have tried a few SG blends and I just find them way too fussy for me and my amateur pipe smoking skills. It seems they need ample dry time and even after that, I can never get my bowls of SG to stay lit. I don't mind re-lights but for me, the SG blends I have smoked don't seem to hit the spot for me like some "lesser" blends. I have put my minuscule SG stash (and by stash I mean a few ounces) aside for now in hopes that I will come back to it some day and have a different experience.

Anyone else have the same experience or am I truly just an amateur?

MLC

Foggy Fogey.
Patron
I noticed that Lakeland Dark had gone up in price slightly, and that it is now rationed to 5 per day.

I'm so glad that I went nuts with that stuff and ordered back when it was a little cheaper!
I was ordering in 25 tin chunks and it worked out to $8.40 a tin which is a total bargain.

Maybe it's me but now I have tried a few SG blends and I just find them way too fussy for me and my amateur pipe smoking skills. It seems they need ample dry time and even after that, I can never get my bowls of SG to stay lit. I don't mind re-lights but for me, the SG blends I have smoked don't seem to hit the spot for me like some "lesser" blends. I have put my minuscule SG stash (and by stash I mean a few ounces) aside for now in hopes that I will come back to it some day and have a different experience.

Nuke ‘em. Ten seconds should do it. I resisted that trick for so long but it just works. Or you could try leaving them out all night and day.

Tianlin

Nuts to that, I have 2-2.5lbs of FVF jarred up. I forget exactly how much. What I was waiting on was the Golden Glow and Grousemoor! I'm peeved that Grousemoor is no longer sold in bulk, but whatever. I don't smoke a ton of it, I can deal with tins. I've tried my hand with home blending only once really, and that was building a blend from the ground up with plain component leaf. I've not usually seen the point in "tweaking" a professionally made blend. But today I had a little inspiration, and now I want to get an extra tin of Grousemoor to play with because I think the stuff would take a light dose of perique very well.
heck, most of the tins are limited to two per day! Wish they did that when they knew McClelland was going out. So much for multiple tin discounts too.

It's getting darker, and I see no end of the tunnel. Hold me..........
I'm mostly with you, but trying not to be. There are a few factors that may be playing into the present situation which are not permanent states of affairs, such as residual panicked hoarding after the shock of McClelland closing up shop. Another change lately is the introduction of half-label warnings in the US market, of a sort different than those used overseas. The effect of which is all new packaging is being made up in many cases. Very recently Brunello Flake was all be impossible to find for about a month or two. When it came back it did so almost all at once - and bearing brand new labels.

These two situations can't possibly be the only factors. After all, McClelland closed up in large part due to increased scarcity and expense of high quality tobacco. Others may soon be gone or reformulated for similar reasons. So scarcity and expense will both continue to rise, but I think we may not be quite as far down that road as many of us presently fear. There have been no shortage of scares in recent years...but things keep going, for now. I think I'll live to see the collapse of the pipe tobacco market as we know it, but I think it's got a little life left in it. I don't expect its demise to be very soon. Still good to treat every specific blend you love as if it could disappear at a moment's notice, though, because it very well may.

craig

I don't know if you are a new to the pipe, if you are leave them to dry till almost crunchy and take your time with smoking them, don't chug at the pipe but take light sips savour it, on the other hand it might just be you don't get on with them, it happens, personally I like some of the Sam gawith offerings but they don't make me sit up and think about hoarding them.