What's new

Solani ABF available at SP.com

mwong61

"On the Internet, nobody knows your a dog"
Patron
While it’s never “in stock” for very long, this is one blend that pops up on a fairly regular basis at both SP and Tobaccopipes. I keep in stock notices at both places and pick up a couple tins whenever they pop up and have manage to build up a healthy cellar. The problem is I’ve started to really like Wessex Burley Slices lately, and that stuff is really hard to find.

MLC

Foggy Fogey.
Patron
While it’s never “in stock” for very long, this is one blend that pops up on a fairly regular basis at both SP and Tobaccopipes. I keep in stock notices at both places and pick up a couple tins whenever they pop up and have manage to build up a healthy cellar. The problem is I’ve started to really like Wessex Burley Slices lately, and that stuff is really hard to find.

I've also developed a fondness for WBS and I actually prefer it over ABF, the Wessex reminds me more of the old Edgeworth Sliced albeit with some additional cocoa notes.

The K&K stuff should be hitting the shelves soon,
@dmkerr recently emailed them
and got some solid info:
https://pipesmokersdens.com/threads/rattrays.1419/page-3#post-45056

:puffy:

mwong61

Patron
I've also developed a fondness for WBS and I actually prefer it over ABF, the Wessex reminds me more of the old Edgeworth Sliced albeit with some additional cocoa notes.

The K&K stuff should be hitting the shelves soon,
@dmkerr recently emailed them
and got some solid info:
https://pipesmokersdens.com/threads/rattrays.1419/page-3#post-45056

:puffy:

Hmmm, is that for Rattrays? Or all the K&K blends? I would dearly love to grab a few more tins of WBS to add to my meager stash.

mwong61

Patron
What is the relationship between Edgeworth Sliced and Edgeworth RR? As I have never had the pleasure of trying the originals and have only recently tried the ERR Match from Sutliff I don’t know if that’s close enough to provide a frame of reference.

The Wessex Burley Slice has a bit of a “mineral” quality to it that I initially did not take to, but after smoking a tin and a half or so of it, I’ve really grown to love it.

WBS, Solani ABF and the new HH Burley are all great blends but different. I tend to approach each based on its own merits.

MLC

Foggy Fogey.
Patron
What is the relationship between Edgeworth Sliced and Edgeworth RR? As I have never had the pleasure of trying the originals and have only recently tried the ERR Match from Sutliff I don’t know if that’s close enough to provide a frame of reference.

In the old days, the R/R was the same as the Sliced, just rubbed ready.

The name, by the way, was said to be originated because the flakes were cut and stood on "edge" in rectangular tins to show the costly outer layer of the "cavendish cake of burley and bright leaf", and it was promoted as being "worth" the higher price.
Hence the name "Edgeworth."

There was a more recent version which was manufactured in England:

It was tasty but I've only had one tin of it because those tins usually fetch a good sum of money and there's great demand because so many people love it,
lots of eyeballs looking for it and it can't easily be had for bargain prices.

It maintained the same famous look of the old Larus version:

mwong61

Patron
In the old days, the R/R was the same as the Sliced, just rubbed ready.

The name, by the way, was said to be originated because the flakes were cut and stood on "edge" in rectangular tins to show the costly outer layer of the "cavendish cake of burley and bright leaf", and it was promoted as being "worth" the higher price.
Hence the name "Edgeworth."

There was a more recent version which was manufactured in England:

It was tasty but I've only had one tin of it because those tins usually fetch a good sum of money and there's great demand because so many people love it,
lots of eyeballs looking for it and it can't easily be had for bargain prices.

It maintained the same famous look of the old Larus version:

@MLC you constantly amaze me with your wealth of historic info:) :bow:

Coda

MLC

Foggy Fogey.
Patron
A little more about the modern Edgeworth...

:

Neill A. Roan's old blog Passion for Pipes has a great write-up regarding the historical original version but it's only available thru the wayback Machine,
so scroll down a little to read it:
https://web.archive.org/web/2013012...eills-blog/2013/1/7/relax-with-edgeworth.html

:

...Rothmans came into possession of the Edgeworth trademark when they bought and acquired Larus & Brother back in 1974.

But it disappeared for a while after the takeover,
according to Bob Runowski:
"It is good to know the social history of tobacco. Actually, for the Sliced, it is the second time being discontinued. The first time was in the mid 1970s when the tobacco was still being made by Larus bros in Richmond. A far different blend then, more burley less Euro-flavoring, a lighter but stronger blend."

Regarding the "euro-flavoring" he's referencing the latest version of Sliced which was made in Denmark. When production shifted to Denmark the tins looked the same as the earlier UK-made painted tins except for the small mice-type printing on the side of the lid stating MADE IN THE EU.
Later they used the now familiar cheaper gold tin with sticker:

Rothmans had farmed out production of Edgeworth Sliced to Orlik,
earlier it had been manufactured at Murray's in Belfast.

:

As to your original question of differences between Sliced and R/R, some people did notice a difference between the two it seems.
William Serad wrote:

"The Edgeworth Ready Rubbed and the Edgeworth Sliced seemed very different. The original Sliced, which came in the small blue tin, was more heavily cased with molasses. To me, the aroma had an undertone of frying bacon. The Ready Rubbed was of obvious quality, but never made my regular rotation.
Edgeworth Sliced, however, did.”
https://pipesandtobaccosmagazine.com/2015/03/pipefuls-8/

:

And,
it's always fun to see videos of tin openings...

Billy Joe

A little more about the modern Edgeworth...

:

Neill A. Roan's old blog Passion for Pipes has a great write-up regarding the historical original version but it's only available thru the wayback Machine,
so scroll down a little to read it:
https://web.archive.org/web/2013012...eills-blog/2013/1/7/relax-with-edgeworth.html

:

...Rothmans came into possession of the Edgeworth trademark when they bought and acquired Larus & Brother back in 1974.

But it disappeared for a while after the takeover,
according to Bob Runowski:
"It is good to know the social history of tobacco. Actually, for the Sliced, it is the second time being discontinued. The first time was in the mid 1970s when the tobacco was still being made by Larus bros in Richmond. A far different blend then, more burley less Euro-flavoring, a lighter but stronger blend."

Regarding the "euro-flavoring" he's referencing the latest version of Sliced which was made in Denmark. When production shifted to Denmark the tins looked the same as the earlier UK-made painted tins except for the small mice-type printing on the side of the lid stating MADE IN THE EU.
Later they used the now familiar cheaper gold tin with sticker:

Rothmans had farmed out production of Edgeworth Sliced to Orlik,
earlier it had been manufactured at Murray's in Belfast.

:

As to your original question of differences between Sliced and R/R, some people did notice a difference between the two it seems.
William Serad wrote:

"The Edgeworth Ready Rubbed and the Edgeworth Sliced seemed very different. The original Sliced, which came in the small blue tin, was more heavily cased with molasses. To me, the aroma had an undertone of frying bacon. The Ready Rubbed was of obvious quality, but never made my regular rotation.
Edgeworth Sliced, however, did.”
https://pipesandtobaccosmagazine.com/2015/03/pipefuls-8/

:

And,
it's always fun to see videos of tin openings...

Thanks for the great information.

I miss Neill Roan's blog, and his photography. His writing and artwork were first-rate.