What's new

What is going on!

Adam Bybee

Sales
People have been going on massive tobacco purchasing binges over the last year or so, partially because of the closing of McClelland and the discontinuation of several other blends. A lot of the really popular blending houses are very small companies that produce a set amount of tobacco at a time and aren't set up to deal with massive fluctuations in demand. So, a big uptick in people cellaring and speculating on tobacco causes a shortage, which causes people to panic and buy even more tobacco when they can find it, which causes more panic, etc. ,etc.

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Staff member
Yeah, there's a lot of "fallout" from McClelland, panic over Dunhill disappearing, delays in shipping from Europe because of labelling issues.... so all kinds of stuff (like Wessex Red Flake) is being bought as being the "next closest thing" where a few years ago no one cared about it.

Buy what you like as you can, it won't be cheaper tomorrow, and it won't be more easily obtainable then it is now.

blackmouth210

Guess I waited to long to start hoarding🤬
No....just change you're view of the situation.

There are still a ton of tobacco options...with plenty of GREAT blends to choose from. In stock, too.

Use this opportunity to sample some things you maybe wouldn't have otherwise.
Choose things within the same category of blends you mostly prefer and have fun.
Choose blends away from your normal preference types and really have fun.

Zanaspus

There are still a ton of tobacco options...with plenty of GREAT blends to choose from. In stock, too.

Choose things within the same category of blends you mostly prefer and have fun.
One of the finest pieces of advice I've seen. We tend to get comfortable with our favorites not knowing that there' lots of other favorites out there.

JLD 66

Do no harm
Patron

Very good advice, I think I’ll do just that.

Bernie Rain

This is a "healthy" way of thinking - positive, namely.
I would add a third point:

Buy blends from different companies, to support them all - do not concentrate on one blender / company.
I try to buy from as many companies as possible - everybody has something for me to enjoy and I try to support them all.

gnossos

real men drink pink wine
Patron
I feel like there's another variable beyond "people are worried about their favorite blend"

Maybe it's just the internet reaching the same folks but I still think there's a "pipe boom" and all the new guys come in and hear about "cellaring" and immediately think they have to as well. The blends that are out of stock often don't even make sense to me half the time.

Not saying I'm innocent but I saw a guy roll in to Peretti's who talked about having only smoked for three months who drove like five hours from wherever because they heard they might have some Esoterica. He bought the Stonehaven but didn't register that the guy said he had Peacehaven, which in general is much much harder to find I've found, presumeably because folks on reddit or whatever aren't bragging about their Peacehaven. I bought the Peacehaven.

Like three months in I feel as though I barely had any concept of what I actually liked. Maybe even a couple years in.

It's all very old-man-yells-at-clouds but for McConnell to be out of stock, I mean, that's K&K, not a mom and pop shop... it's weird.